Adelaide Hebrew Congregation

Adelaide Hebrew Congregation
In the early years, religious duties were carried out by laymen but questions of significant issues had to be sent to England. During the 1840s, prayer services were held at Burnett Nathan’s home in Currie Street. On 10 September 1848, 44 Jewish men met at Emanuel Solomon’s Temple Tavern and agreed to form the Adelaide Hebrew Congregation. A Synagogue, in the Egyptian style of other early Australian ones, was built in Rundle Street and opened on 9 August 1850.

The congregation outgrew the premises and in 1870, a foundation stone was laid for a larger adjacent Synagogue. In 1870 Reverend Boas was appointed as the first Minister. He served for 48 years, traveling long distances to visit members of his faith throughout South Australia. During the 1980s the congregation built a new Synagogue in Glenside after 140 years of worship at Rundle Street. On 7 June 1990 inaugural services were held in the new Synagogue. In 1998, the 150th anniversary dinner was celebrated in the presence of newly arrived Rabbi Engel.

The Synagogue in Rundle Street, north side, 1870′s. Original Adelaide Synagogue completed 1850 (on right). Replacement larger Synagogue completed 1870 (on left).
Judah Moss Solomon, first President.
Reverend Abraham Tobias Boas, first Minister, who served from 1870-1918.
The house of Isaac Solomon at Kent Terrace, Kent Town c. 1872. Rabbi Boas stands at the gate with his fiance, Elizabeth, daughter of Isaac.
Rabbi and Mrs Boas with their 9 children, c. 1894.
Boas residence “Kandalah” in Gover Street, North Adelaide, known as “Liberty Hall”. The house still stands.
A page from the diary of Rabbi Boas covering the months of October to December 1898, listing the number of duties he performed in those months. Prison visits, funeral and wedding visits etc.
The entrance from Synagogue Place in 1895.
Children dress up for Purim 1955.
Rabbi Tuvia Rafalowicz (right) at his induction in 1963; Rabbi Dr Israel Porush of Sydney (left) and Rev. Abraham Berman, second Minister (center).
Rabbi Philip Heilbrunn at his induction in 1982.
Exterior of the new Synagogue at Glenside.
Stained glass windows designed & produced by Andrew Steiner.
Traditional Jewish wedding in the new Synagogue 1991.